Monday 5 May 2008

Opening a Window Somewhere?

Have you ever heard the saying, “When God closes a door, he opens a window”? This refers to the belief that whether outcomes be good or bad, another opportunity will present itself.

The bone marrow harvest did not provide adequate stem cells to consider an autologous transplant. After 3 separate attempts to collect stem cells including multiple chemo protocols, hundreds of neupogen injections and finally surgery, we need to close this door and look for a window.

Potential donors are being identified to find the best match for Eric.

As we know more I will update this blog. In the meantime, if you or your family and friends are eligible to join the Bone Marrow Donor Registry, please do so.

In Canada, the registry is OneMatch . Joining is free and it is as simple as a questionaire and cheek swabs -- you don't have to make an appointment or provide a blood sample to join. If I can do it, you can do it too.

In the US, the Thanks Mom campaign is now active. This means you can join the registry between May 5 - May 19 for no cost.

We would be honoured if you would join on Eric's behalf.

1 comment:

B. said...

Thinking of you and Eric everyday.
Lord Kathy, I'm so sorry that this has been such a roller coaster for you and the cute boy of yours...

You deserve that window soon. With sun shinning through it. I guess in these situations we hold onto hope -- for now, I will for both of you.

Please give Eric, a huge survivor hug from me... If either of you need to vent. My family and I are here.

Always,

Bekah