Monday 9 February 2009

A Pair of Shoes

With thanks to my friends- especially the other Moms - you know who you are - who ask me about my shoes.... And with special thoughts for Tyler's Mom.

"A Pair of Shoes"
I am wearing a pair of shoes.
They are ugly shoes.
Uncomfortable shoes.
I hate my shoes.
Each day I wear them, and each day I wish I had another pair.
Some days my shoes hurt so bad that I do not think I can take another step.
Yet, I continue to wear them.
I get funny looks wearing these shoes.
They are looks of sympathy.
I can tell in others eyes that they are glad they are my shoes and not theirs.
They never talk about my shoes.
To learn how awful my shoes are might make them uncomfortable.
To truly understand these shoes you must walk in them.
But, once you put them on, you can never take them off.
I now realize that I am not the only one who wears these shoes.
There are many pairs in this world.
Some woman are like me and ache daily as they try and walk in them.
Some have learned how to walk in them so they don't hurt quite as much.
Some have worn the shoes so long that days will go by before they think about how much they hurt.
No woman deserves to wear these shoes.
Yet, because of these shoes I am a stronger woman.
These shoes have given me the strength to face anything.
They have made me who I am.
I will forever walk in the shoes of a woman who has a child with cancer.
~Author unknown

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me cry. My son has Hodgkins too. God bless you and your son.

Anonymous said...

So touched...

Jane

Adrienne said...

Made me cry too, but there's so much truth. Here's to hoping for better days. Hugs, Alison (Adrienne's mom)

B. said...

Thanks for posting this Kathy, sent it to my mothers.

Sending all you moms,
tons of hugs,

B

Veronica said...

HUGE hugs........<3.........Vx

Anonymous said...

I can't stop thinking about the poem. No one understands a mother's pain unless you wear the shoes. My 26 year old daughter has Hodgkins with persistent positive PET scans that are wearing down my optimism. God bless all of us who wear those shoes.
S.G.